Anglo-Chinese School is usually abbreviated as "ACS," with the Anglo-Chinese Junior College abbreviated as "ACJC." Its students and alumni are referred as "ACSians" (/ˈɑksiɑn/).
ACS was the first school in Singapore to have a flower named after it, the "Ascocenda Anglo-Chinese School orchid", a hybrid created by the school to mark its 116th Founder's Day on March 1, 2002.
At the same time, the Anglo-Chinese Primary School abandoned its Coleman Street premises (the old building now housing the National Archives of Singapore) to share premises with the new secondary school at Barker Road, now named ACS (Barker Road).
Complete rebuilding of the Barker Road campus took place in the late 1990s, with ACS (Barker Road) temporarily relocating during the project.
During his tenure, both the Cairnhill and Barker Road premises expanded, in the latter's case through the building of Lee Hall, a three-storey building housing twelve classrooms and four laboratories.
The Oldham Methodist Secondary School merged with the Secondary School at Barker Road in January 1961.
For over 80 years, China Institute’s School of Chinese Studies has taught thousands of students, both children and adults, to speak, read and write Chinese.
The School has provided courses and workshops for K-12 educators and the general public on Chinese culture, history, art, literature and language teaching; brought hundreds of students and educators to China for life-changing tours and study programs; and created award-winning curriculum guides and books about China.
Eventually, ACS became the Oldham Methodist School while a secondary school opened in Cairnhill Road.
During the World War II Japanese occupation of Singapore between 19, lessons were suspended. Hinch, who had been interned by the Japanese during the occupation and had been sent back to England to recover, returned to the school in June 1946.
The School was chartered in 1944 by the Board of Regents of the New York State Department of Education.